- I’ve known Bryan since preschool, where we were in a gang together. That is not a joke. I think we were called The Cobras and had customized camouflage t-shirts to back it up. I spent a lot of time at his house as a child- playing Excitebike, building Legos and practicing archery. Now he’s a globe-trotting creative, and I suggest you check out his burgeoning internet empire.
Bryan’s Flickr Continue reading
Monthly Archives: July 2009
Don’t judge someone based on how you see them portrayed on television.
Case In Point: Shane Powers might just be a fuckin’ genius, and at the very least- someone I would probably get along rather well with.
Background: Survivor is one of my favorite television shows for any number of reasons that I refuse to go into right now. And every season on Survivor there is at least one person that Bugs The Shit Out Of You. Oh his season of Survivor, Shane was That Guy- at least for me.
I always thought that I was a good enough judge of people to see through how the editors portrayed them on the show, but now it’s evident that I really can’t. Damn you, Mark Burnette and your crack team of reality designers. Read Shane’s blog and see how he’s actually a really cool (and really intelligent) guy. Shane Powers: sorry I judged you incorrectly. You seem like a rad dude. Thanks for the learning experience.
Today’s lesson: Don’t Judge People As Their TV Personalities Come Across- unless it’s Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin or Jay Leno (they are indisputably real life assholes).
First, let us ponder the following questions:
- Can you name a Woodstock-era hippie that hasn’t sold out? Of course you cant. Example: Santana DVX Wine.
- Why do you still hate me, Pandora Internet Radio? I’ve all but given up on you after the 2 Radiohead songs-into-Pink Floyd fiasco the other night. It’s like you’re trying to get me to blog about how much I hate the music you say I should like. I’ve cracked the theory and discovered my problem with Pandora- I’m too informed about music. I know what I like, and what is more, I know what I don’t like. The odds that Pandora is going to introduce me to something new are incredibly slim. Continue reading
[Or: Brian Steals His Ideas From The Head]
Writer’s block is the proverbial bitch. Let’s jack Travis Keller’s questions for people more notable and talented than I, shall we? I need something to fertilize my creativity.
1. What artist inspired you to create art?
Jimmy Page, Kurt Cobain, Ian MacKaye, Maurice Sendak, Shel Silverstein, Spike Jonze
2. What or who still inspires you to keep on keeping on?
Dawn, family, fucked up music, Anthony Bourdain, Hemingway
I never really thought about it before, but it could very well be the case. Let’s examine: some of the finest records by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, New Order, Erasure, Depeche Mode, U2, Nine Inch Nails, The Jesus & Mary Chain, (the real) Smashing Pumpkins… I never realized how many records of his I have until I looked at this.
Thankfully, his nickname wasn’t given to him because he creates a sonic flood or anything as pretentious. The guy just really, really likes tea. And yes, he’s British, but I digress, of course. Continue reading