Let’s dust off the cobwebs and begin a new year filled with bad attitudes.
1. “You need to see them live!”
Why would I want to see songs I already don’t like live?
2. “They are really nice guys!”
This is what happens when you can’t survive on talent alone. The only exception to this rule is Dave Grohl.
Cause I’m a cold, hateful bitch. This could be a lot longer I suppose, but my attention span is way too short for that. So here are a few things (records) that have been on my mind lately, for better or worse. Continue reading
…I’ve been listening to music.
- Arctic Monkeys- Humbug: Ok, this is a pretty great record. I never liked this band before I heard “Crying Lighting,” and then I come to find out Josh Homme recorded it? Fucking great move, boys. A fucked up reverby desert carnival atmosphere was all this band needed to be able to tickle the balls of greatness. It’s kinda like is Morrissey was a teenager in the 90’s and met Josh and they formed the Arctic Monkeys instead of QOTSA and The Smiths.
- Drive Like Jehu: The more I listen to Jehu, the more I’m convinced they are one of the greatest bands of all time. When I was a sophomore in high school we used to have to do stupid ice breaker brain warm up exercises at the start of class. One was “Give yourself a foreign name and tell us what country you come from.” Having read about them in a magazine out of pure luck I said “I’m Jehu, from Israel.” The teacher made fun of me. Fuck him. Little did I know it would take another 5 or 6 years to again encounter Jehu’s greatness. Check out great live shit here: Do You Compute?
- Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: There are so many things one could hold against Phoenix- they’re French, the singer is Sophia Coppola’s boyfriend, they’re French… But if nothing else, I will go to my grave loving “Lizstomania” and “1901” (and the rest of the record). Great songs and good novelty-European production (compressors sidechained to the kick drum- I’m looking at you). The record that I will always link with Summer 2009.
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- Your Funeral…My Trial: The last of the recently reissued first 4 Bad Seeds records. I’m proud of myself for not buying them all at once and giving them each a chance to soak in. A good cross between piano balladry and noise. And the documentary special features on each cd are great, of course.
Yeah, it’s been a while. Not much going on ’round these parts. Heatwaves, fires, power outages, humidity… typical Southern California late summertime action. I’m contemplating growing a pre-wedding beard, but A)I look like a child molester when I have even the slightest semblance of facial hair, and 2)Dawn might kick my ass. Either way, my hair will be pretty long in the weeks leading up to the wedding, as my haircut schedule doesn’t match up to my marriage schedule. I refuse to get 2 haircuts in less than a month. Continue reading
Make no mistake- I think Pitchfork is the most pretentiously douchey (music) publication that has ever existed. But that doesn’t stop me from hate-reading it daily and, even occasionally agreeing with their opinions. This has been especially true over the last several months- Phoenix, Sunn O))), Dinosaur Jr., Mos Def, Isis, Japandroids, and Bat For Lashes have all received their “Best New Music” certification (admittedly, anyone should think these are excellent records, BECAUSE THEY ARE. So it’s not like I’m applauding Pitchfork’s ability to not avoid the fish filling it’s barrel to the brim). Continue reading
Filed under Blowing It, Computers are Dumb, Deal With It, Earplugs, Empty Promises/Threats, Hipsterism, I Am Still Punk, I call them 'records' and not 'cds' because I'm an elitist, Lameness, Pontification On Things That Shouldn't Concern Me, Ranting, Waste
I’ve always thought Rock Band/Guitar Hero were mildly entertaining, but I never put much stock into them- and I would most certainly never purchase one. I am after all, ahem, A Real Musician (that was slightly sarcastic, though I am a pretentious asshole as well). My feelings towards “fake music” games were further pushed into the gray with the announcement of The Beatles- Rock Band. Luckily we (actually “I”) have Kiri Brown, apparently the person with The Worlds Greatest Job* to explain one of the reasons I (and others, jeez) tend to act like such an asshole towards players of these games- and it’s actually pretty fascinating. Continue reading
I can no longer doubt the validity of Tumblr.
I like this website so much I didn’t want to just twitter it: Fuck Yeah, T-Shirts Continue reading